Resides humbly along the strips of Famous Shah Alam Lake garden, proposing a building next to a well established public park opens up a serious public scrutiny of the scheme. Acknowledging the sensitivity surrounding the site, the project aims to intricately balance between the needs of the client to have a new landmark building as a symbol of their new corporate image whilst maintaining the public requirement of a park and the functions surrounding it.
Green design initiatives are adopted at the onset of the design process to link the objectives together in an attempt to create a green building where the owner, the public and the city can be proud of. The right approach at the very beginning in terms of overall massing, orientation and internal layout is paramount in an attempt to get the most efficient use of energy in a building. In general the building massing is broken up into series of smaller blocks with the shaded transition spaces as plazas in between them.
The plazas promote air flow between the blocks creating pleasant airy spaces apart from passively cool the building. Externally, the building is boldly covered by a large grass roof. Besides masking the existence of a build object within a nature’s setting the grass provide unique civic spaces for the public to enjoy the park without interfere with the building function. A total of 2.7 acres of outdoor area for public use is to be added. The internal spaces of the building are designed as an open plan office space with the appropriate depths to take advantage of the natural light coming into the spaces.
Light shelves are also introduced along the perimeter of the building to bounce light deeper into the spaces. While maximizing the natural light penetration into the building, care also taken to reduce glare especially at the immediate fringes of the windows by incorporating shading elements with appropriate architectural features. PKNS headquarters building is an attempt to create a green architecture not solely as a an iconic ‘greenwash’ symbol but a truly working energy efficient solution with interesting spaces for people to enjoy reflecting current state of technology that blends seamlessly with its natural setting.
Material Used :
1. Curtain wall / Cladding - Huayuan (M) Sdn. Bhd.
2. Roof / Wall - Kim Hoe Thye Industies Sdn. Bhd. (Greencon AAC Block)
3. Floor / Floor coverings - Guocera Sdn. Bhd.
4. Paints / Coatings / Finishes - SK Kaken (M) Sdn. Bhd. (SKK Paint)
5. Insulation / Energy saving - Jebsen & Jessen Packaging (EPS Geofoam)
6. Lifts / Escalators / Stairs - OTIS Elevator Company (M) Sdn. Bhd.
7. Sealants / Adhesives - Dow Corning (M) Sdn Bhd
8. Ceiling / Partitions / Building boards - Gyproc Malaysia (Topline, Aqualine)
9. Doors / Window / Glazing hardware - Dorma/ Bizzy Door Automation/ Glassdac (M) Sdn Bhd
10. Security / Fire products - VES Fire Detection System
11. Bathroom / Kitchens / Sanitary wares - Johnson Suisse Sdn. Bhd. / Rigel Technology (M) Sdn. Bhd.
12. Lighting / Electrical equipment - Siri Jaya Industries Sdn Bhd/ Philips
13. Heating / Ventilation / Air-conditioning - Dunham Bush / Kruger
14. Solar technology / Renewable energy - Solar District Cooling Sdn Bhd (SDC)
15. Water management system - Veolia Water (M) Holdings Sdn Bhd
16. Waste recycling system - Veolia Environmental Services (M) Sdn Bhd
17. Greening / Planting - Strategi Jati Sdn Bhd / Sekitar Indah/ Eurodeck Sdn Bhd