Officially opened on 4 December 2011, QNCC is one of the most sophisticated convention and exhibition centres built to date.
• QNCC was designed by the renowned Japanese architect Arata Isozaki, who took inspiration from Qatar’s beloved icon, the Sidra tree.
• The spectacular façade resembles two intertwined trees reaching up to support the exterior canopy. The tree is a beacon of learning and comfort in the desert and a haven for poets and scholars who gathered beneath its branches to share knowledge.
• QNCC was conceived with a focus on sustainability. The Centre was successfully built according to U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) gold certification standards. The building is designed to operate efficiently with innovations such as water conservation and energy-efficient fixtures.
• QNCC’s first major event was the 20th World Petroleum Congress which took place from 4-8 December 2011. Known as the “Olympian Event of the Oil and Gas Industry”, it was attended by over 5,000 delegates from a global oil and gas audience and outside stakeholders such as governments, other industry sectors, NGOs and international institutions who also join in the dialogue.
• During its first anniversary, the Centre celebrated the occasion in the company of Heads of State and delegations who attended the United Nations Conference on Climate Change (COP18/CMP8) which was considered to be one of the world’s largest conferences. The conference drew 16,000 participants from 194 countries.
The event propelled QNCC’s reputation as a global centre and set a new benchmark for the seamless delivery of a technically complex and logistically challenging conference.
• To date, QNCC has received the following distinctions :
Middle East’s Leading Exhibition & Convention Centre by World Travel Awards 2014 Best Events Venue 2013 by Middle East Event Awards Middle East’s Leading Exhibition & Convention Centre by World Travel Awards 2012 Best Congress and Convention Centre, Middle East by Business Destinations Travel Awards 2012 Best Convention Centre in Middle East by MICE Report Awards 2012